Thursday, October 13, 2016

Apple Butter

Apple Butter
makes about 5 cups

1/8 teaspoon ground mace
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ cup apple cider
¼ cup honey
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
10 cups apples, peeled and chopped (fuji and stayman are good choices)

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker
Stir and let cook on low for 10 hours or until apples are very tender
Place apple mixture into blender and blend until smooth
Return to slow cooker
Cook uncovered on high for 2 hours or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally

Chill up to a week or freeze

Friday, September 9, 2016

Ice Dying

There's a new way to dye. Instead of using hot water you use ice and it's so much fun.

I bought a white t-shirt at Target for only $5. Can't beat that. Always wash new clothes before dying to remove any sizing or finishes. You don't have to dry the shirt.

As with any dying do this where you don't mind making a mess. I use my utility sink in my laundry room. You need a rack to hold the shirt that the ice can melt through. I used my cookie cooling rack. You also need powder dye (2 or 3 colors) and lots of ice.

I put my dying pot under the rack to hold it up so water doesn't pool under the shirt. Wet your shirt and scrunch it up. I tried a small spiral twist but don't use rubberbands they'll create hard lines. You're trying a marbling effect. Cover shirt in lots of ice and then sprinkle on the powder dye. Then wait. I left it over night.

Once all the ice is melted you're done. Spray color fixative so the color won't fade. Wait 20 minutes or so then rinse with cool water until the water runs clear. Wash shirt by itself or with old towels. 

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 70 cookies

2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (or 12oz pkg) chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375
Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt in a bowl and set aside
Beat butter, sugars, vanilla until creamy
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one
Gradually beat in flour mixture
Stir in chips, walnuts

Drop by teaspoon onto baking sheet
Bake 9-11 minutes or until firm
Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes
Remove to wire racks to cool completely

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Pasta Fagioli (Pasta & Beans Soup)

Pasta Fagioli
serves 6

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons italian seasonings
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15.5oz) pink beans
1 can (15.5oz) white beans
6 cups water
½ package (1¾ cups) ditalini pasta

Rinse and drain beans
Heat oil, italian seasonings in a large pot over low heat for 5 minutes
Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes
Let mixture thicken for about 10 minutes
Stir in beans, water
Heat to a boil
Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
Add pasta
Cook covered over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler
serves 8

¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
6 fresh peaches (medium size)

Slice peaches into medium size pieces
Rub the end of the stick of butter around the bottom and sides of the slow cooker to coat it completely
Toss the sliced peaches on top, spreading them out evenly across the dish

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar. Whisk together the dry ingredients. In the same bowl, add the rest of the softened butter, cutting it into the mixture with two forks or you can use your hands. Crumble this topping evenly on top of the peaches.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours

Serve with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Bringing new life into an old shirt

love this white shirt. It's a cute, breeze, little summer shirt. However since it is white I have to plan ahead to wear it. Usually I think to wear it when all I have in my drawer is my red bra with white polka dots.

Following the directions on the bottle I dyed my shirt in the utility sink in my laundry room. I have a glass pot I use for dying.

I didn't stir it as much as I should have so it looks "splotchy". But I like it. It gives it a hand crafted look.

The shirt wasn't 100% cotton which I didn't realize until after I dyed it. But the stitching stands out a lot better now so that's good.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Spent Grains Dog Biscuits

Spent Grain Doggie Treats
makes about 60 cookies

4 cups spent grains
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350
Make sure you stir the spent grains well before using as liquid can settle to the bottom
Combine all ingredients mixing well

Using your fingers press the mixture on to an ungreased rimmed cookie sheet
Cut into squares

Bake for 30-45 minutes
Break apart the squares
Divide squares in between two cookie sheets so there is a little space between each square
Reduce the oven temperature to 250
Cook for 1 hour
Turn squares over and cook for an additional hour or until they are completely dried out

Let treats cool completely.

Another option is to use a bone shaped cookie cutter
After spreading the mixture on to the cookie sheet cut out with a bone shaped cookie cutter
Move to an ungreased cookie sheet
Then bake as described above

Store in an open container

These biscuits will get moldy if all the moisture is not gone